In honor of that, I am posting a list of things I want to teach my daughter that I found on the internet (here).
1. Music is universal.
2. You can make the world a better place by being a better person.
3. Kindness can never be overdone.
4. Never chase a man.
5. Be the brains, and the beauty will follow.
6. Respect your body.
7. Respect yourself.
8. Never trust a man who is unkind to his mother.
9. Never depend on a man (or anyone else) to give you what you want. Get it yourself.
10. "There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
11. Dance like nobody's watching.
12. Love with passion.
13. Bad hair days happen- wear a headband.
14. Listen to lyrics- they heal broken hearts.
15. Use writing to vent frustration, rather than speaking mean words.
16. A good book can change your perception.
17. "You is kind.
18. You is smart.
19. You is important."
20. Good girls are good, not boring.
21. Make mistakes.
22. Learn from your mistakes.
24. "It isn't what we say or think that defines us, but what we do."
25. Play fair, fight fair.
26. Wine should be sipped, not chugged.
27. Tea and poetry are better than coffee and talk shows.
28. You can always borrow my clothes, if I can borrow yours.
29. Find your own voice- write it, speak it, be it.
30. Stand up for what you believe is right.
31. Don't gossip, unless you want to be gossiped about.
32. Your daddy will love you more than any man you ever meet.
33. Decide who you want to be and be confident in your decision.
34. Define yourself by your own attributes, not by what other's expect from you.
35. Pick flowers and put them in your hair.
36. Be the kind of friend you want to have.
36. Dare to be different.
37. Life is fast, live slow.
38. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty.
39. Bad haircuts will grow out.
40. Days without laughter are wasted.
41. Shel Silverstein's books are not just for children.
42. Read everything by Nicholas Sparks.
43. "I'll back you up."
44. Go barefoot.
45. Always share secrets with your mother.
46. Do unto others as you'd have done to you.
47. It hurts to be beautiful. (my mother use to say this when brushing my hair...it's not metaphorical)
48. You are not entitled to anything, it has to be earned.
49. Promises are always worth keeping.
50. Secrets should only be shared with your mother.
51. Happiness is a choice.
52. Fairytales are real if you believe in them.
53. You make your own fate.
54. Dream big or don't bother.
55. Big rewards are made from big risks.
56. "Anything can happen child, anything can be."
57. Someone else is happy with less than what you have.
58. Girlfriends- the real kind- are better than therapy.
59. Find a way to create art, it can save your soul.
60. Take pictures & cherish every. single. memory.
61. Apologizing takes strength. Be strong.
62. Forgive, but don't forget.
63. Sometimes you have to fake it.
64. You will always remember your first kiss- make it worth the memory.
65. Sometimes I will choose to be your mother, not your friend.
66. All you have is your word- make it stronger than oak.
67. Find friends who become family.
68. If it looks too good to be true, then it probably is.
69. Never wear clothing to attract boys, it will attract the wrong kind.
70. "A room without books is like a body without a soul."
71. Be a lion, not a lamb.
72. Imperfections make you perfectly you.
72. Water-proof mascara is necessary when watching Steel Magnolia.
73. Choose what you eat to be healthy not skinny.
74. Choose the path less traveled, I hear it makes all the difference.
75. You don't need long hair to be feminine.
76. Your brother's will scare off any boy who does not treat you with respect.
77. I will love whoever you choose to love.
78. You will always be my girl.
79. The key to looking "naturally" beautiful is great mascara and a little blush.
80. A pint of icecream and a chick flick will make it better.
81. Daddy will probably never say no to you, so get his credit card and let's go shopping.
82. Daddy will help you with Math homework.
83. I'll read you novels.
84. Let the sun shine on your face.
85. Life can change in an instant, hold on like hell to what you have.
86. If you're trying to convince yourself you're right, then you're probably wrong.
87. "Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously."
89. The secrets of life can be found in the novels of Jane Austen.
90. When you say, "no," mean it.
91. Ponytails are just easier.
92. "For every minute you are angry, you lose 60 seconds of happiness."
93. Money does not buy happiness, but it sure is nice.
94. Mommy and Daddy will love you regardless.
95. Guardian angels are real.
96. Sunshine on your shoulders will always get you high.
97. "Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall- all you have to do is call."
98. Daddy will always be home.
99. I will always be home.
100. "Home is where the heart is."
I love you, Selah Faith.