Sunday, June 20, 2010

A day in the life of this diabetic

In fact, this is a mixed and mashed together bits of several actual days to start my month late participation in Diabetes blog week.

I woke up with blood sugar a little high. Extra insulin needed! Oh boy! This is not what I need today. I'm running late and will be sitting in a class for several hours. High blood sugar and the accompanying extreme thirst and frequent urination will NOT do. I'll just skip ahead to the insulin pump site change.

Dressed, fed and site change done, we walk out of the door. As I get in the car, my purse gets snagged on the seat and hits my stomach and a sharp pain rips my skin. Shoot. The new site got ripped out by my purse hitting my stomach for a split second. I run inside to change the site again. As I lift my shirt, I see blood running down from where my site just got ripped from my stomach. Great. I apply pressure to the bleeding spot as I change the new site to a newer site. Luckily, I add in cushion time when I have to be somewhere. We arrived right on time and my blood sugar stabilized.

Later, I start to feel funny in the class. I feel weak. I feel tingly. My brain starts to feel foggy. I can't focus on what the pastor is saying. I motion to the Timmy that I feel off and I need to test.

I test right there in my seat in the middle of the class's circle of chairs. 45. Not good. I show Timmy and he gets up and grabs me something to eat from the snack table and I pop a couple of glucose tablets into my mouth. Within a few minutes, I feel better. No one else seemed to notice our mini emergency as we took care of it. I don't know if I should be proud of my stealth mode of handling things or if I should be worried that I don't let people know I am in need of help. Thank goodness for my Timmy.

No comments:

Post a Comment